ADSM-L

WMI Backup hangs on Win2k servers

2006-02-28 08:55:32
Subject: WMI Backup hangs on Win2k servers
From: William Boyer <bjdboyer AT COMCAST DOT NET>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2006 08:56:45 -0500
TSM Server 5.2.2.0 on Windows2003
TSM Client 5.2.4.0 on Windows 2000

During the backup (ALL-LOCAL) the backup never completes and the TSM Scheduler
serivice remains in a Started state (running managed
services mode). The next night the backup schedule misses. We have identified
that the backup is hanging while processing the WMI.
Searching the TSM site we came across Tecnote FAQ 1192096 "Backup failed when
WMI hangs". This is exactly the problem. We reboot the
server and the backups may work for up to several days before this happens
again. And this is happening across most of the
Windows2000 servers. Some more frequently than others. Searching on Microsoft
for WMI HANG brings up a lot of hits.

Just wondering if anyone out there has encountered this problem. The NT
admin(s) are supposed to be researching the hang, too.

Bill Boyer
"Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional" - ??