ADSM-L

Re: export nodes causes TSM server crash

2006-02-27 14:35:30
Subject: Re: export nodes causes TSM server crash
From: "Prather, Wanda" <Wanda.Prather AT JHUAPL DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2006 14:35:01 -0500
The server should not crash.
Ever.
End of story.
Call support.

-----Original Message-----
From: ADSM: Dist Stor Manager [mailto:ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU] On Behalf Of
John Monahan
Sent: Monday, February 27, 2006 2:15 PM
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU

Let me see if I understand you correctly.  The export works fine when
only
15 nodes are running, but after 2 hours when the second set of 15 nodes
kicks in (while some from the first group of 15 are stilli running)
that
is when your server crashes?  Or does your server crash with only 15
nodes
running an export?

______________________________
John Monahan
Consultant Infrastructure Solutions Group
Computech Resources, Inc.
Office: 952-833-0930 ext 109
Cell: 952-221-6938
http://www.computechresources.com

Kurt Beyers <Kurt.Beyers AT DOLMEN DOT BE>
02/27/2006 05:35 AM
Please respond to

ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
cc

Subject
export nodes causes TSM server crash

Hello everybody,

I've got a TSM server 5.3.2.2 running on Windows2003 Enterprise Edition
SP1 (7 GB RAM, Xeon 3,2 GHz CPU) that has about 100 TSM clients defined.

Each month an export of each TSM node with the active backup data will
be
taken to disk (DS4100 with SATA disks of 250 GB). The disk storage pool
that contains the backups is on the DS4100 too.

I've scheduled the export of the TSM nodes past weekend with a few
scripts.

I first tried to launch just one script that took the export in blocks
of
15 nodes using the PARALLEL and SERIAL commands. However as the export
is
started in the background, all of the 75 exporst were started
immediately.
This causes a TSM server crash. After restarting the TSM server, no
error
logs are found in the activity log. Except that no more than 16 commands
can be started in one PARALLEL statement. The last normal message about
the export is written in the log and then the next message are when the
server is started again.

I've split up then the export myself in a script where the export of 15
nodes was started and 4 administrative schedules were defined that
triggered the export of 15 additional nodes every 2 hours later on. The
TSM server crashed once more.

Is this a know feature when the export of a lot of nodes is started? Am
overseeing some parameters here? Can the export be started in a better
way
using TSM scripting?

An export server instead of an 'export node' for each TSM node is not an
option as then the impot of one node would take too much time.

thanks in advance,

Kurt