ADSM-L

Re: Multiprocess Offsite Reclamation Pointless???

2006-02-27 13:36:58
Subject: Re: Multiprocess Offsite Reclamation Pointless???
From: David E Ehresman <deehre01 AT LOUISVILLE DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2006 13:36:26 -0500
I have not used this new 5.3 option, but I have been doing automated
'move data' commands to achieve multithread reclaim on offsite volumes
for some time now.  BUT I only do this for storagepools that are
collocated thus minimizing the likelihood of contention for onsite
volumes. If I were using the 5.3 option, I would only use it for
collocated pools.

David

>>> mccambly AT ALLSTREAM DOT NET 2/27/2006 12:55:42 PM >>>
Has anyone out there tried the new 5.3 multi-threaded reclamation
process for offsite copypools?

I'm running on AIX at 5.3.2 and I have set the "Reclamation Processes"
parameter of my offsite copy pool to a number greater than 1 (I have
tried 4 and 2 as examples).

I then launch a reclamation process using the new "RECLAIM STGPOOL"
command, and tried both limiting the number of offsite volumes to be
reclaimed, and just letting it go with a threshold value.

In both cases, within a few minutes of processing, all the reclamation
processes for this pool are competing for the same input volume, so
one
process continues and the others stall with media wait.

The documentation doesn't say to not use the parameter for offsite
copy
pools, so I'm wondering if this is a bug or working as designed.  If
working as designed, then it is pointless for offsite pools.

Has anyone else had any better luck with this?

Thanks,
Scott.