ADSM-L

INCR vs FULL Backup

2006-02-24 02:34:27
Subject: INCR vs FULL Backup
From: Dksh Cssc <callie.liew AT DKSH DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2006 15:33:58 +0800
HI all,

My comp has policy to do ONLY INCR backup on filesystem for unix machines.
We need to re-schedule a filesystems backup for TSM server and I'm
wondering the impact of restore if we only do incremental backup as oppose
to full backup. The TSM filesystems being backup doesnt really change much
and I'm worried it would be difficult to restore if the retention period
expires.

The reason the mgt do not fancy full backup is because they do not want to
jam the other backup sessions and waste resources.

Thanks and Warmest Regards,

DKSH Market Intelligence

Liew Callie

DKSH Corporate Shared Services Center Sdn Bhd
Lot L4-E-3A, Enterprise 4, Technology Park Malaysia,
57000 Kuala Lumpur.
Phone: +603 8992 2855   Fax: +603 8992 2999
callie.liew AT dksh DOT com
www.dksh.com