ADSM-L

Re: BACKUP DB Question

2006-02-23 12:12:15
Subject: Re: BACKUP DB Question
From: Dave Zarnoch <zarnocd AT NATIONWIDEPROVIDENT DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2006 12:11:17 -0500
I understand....but the "money man" doesn't...
:0)

We are using 9840C drives

Dave Zarnoch
Nationwide Provident
zarnocd AT nationwideprovident DOT com
W 302-452-4197
C  302-462-8703

                      Richard Sims
                      <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>             To:       ADSM-L AT
VM.MARIST DOT EDU
                      Sent by: "ADSM:          cc:
                      Dist Stor                Subject:  Re: [ADSM-L] BACKUP DB
Question
                      Manager"
                      <[email protected]
                      .EDU>

                      02/23/2006 11:47
                      AM
                      Please respond to
                      "ADSM: Dist Stor
                      Manager"

On Feb 23, 2006, at 10:48 AM, Dave Zarnoch wrote:

> I calculated that our DB is @61GB
> The manufacturer says the tape can hold 50GB compressed
>
> What do you think is happening?

Magic.

Your posting did not specify which level of 9840 drive/cartridge
technology is being used. I'll then assume 9840A. Info I found online
says of the basic 9840:

"The native 20GB cartridge capacity can be significantly extended by
StorageTek's enhanced LZ-1 compression technology (4:1 compression is
typical)."

As your concerns express, however, you are near the edge of a cliff,
and the best general advice in life is "Stay away from the edge." I
would pursue modernization of tape technologies there. If demands
pushed your TSM db further, you might consider firing up a second TSM
server.

    Richard Sims