ADSM-L

Re: TSM Disk Volumes

2006-02-23 09:23:28
Subject: Re: TSM Disk Volumes
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2006 09:21:54 -0500
On Feb 23, 2006, at 8:45 AM, Richard Rhodes wrote:

(I did a classic  "rm  *" in the wrong telnet session on my pc,
pounded
ctrl-c real fast, hung
onto my seat, looked around, and, found half of the db files gone.
Interestingly,
the db ran just fine for an hour while we prepared the restore/
recovery!)

A bad feeling I'm sure we've all felt...

An 'rm' on an open file will remove its entry from the directory, but
the inode will remain until the application closes its file descriptor.
Some subsystems use this "trick" for lock files and temp files to
intentionally render their activity invisible: you will see no files
in the directory, but the directory timestamp and disk monitors sure
reflect activity, and disk space sure is being used.

   Richard Sims