ADSM-L

Re: move nodedata between pools losing compression

2006-02-22 11:26:17
Subject: Re: move nodedata between pools losing compression
From: Rick Saylor <rsaylor AT AUSTINCC DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2006 10:25:50 -0600
Adam,

This is only a guess, but maybe the move nodedata command is transferring
compressed data. If the data isn't being decompressed upon read and
re-compressed upon write then that would explain what appears to be lower
tape utilization. See what the query nodedata command shows before and
after the next move. Are you seeing an increase in the number of tapes
needed in the new pool compared to the old pool? It seems to me that if you
were losing compression then you would see at least a doubling of the
number of tapes being used in the new pool. If the number of tapes is about
the same then I wouldn't worry about it. If, on the other hand tape usage
is higher I'd give TSM support a call.

Rick Saylor