ADSM-L

Re: Tape format compatibility between platforms?

2006-02-20 20:37:16
Subject: Re: Tape format compatibility between platforms?
From: Len Boyle <Len.Boyle AT SAS DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2006 20:36:51 -0500
Many moons ago, I asked why there was not an option to just export the database
info for a node and allow the storage pool tapes to be used from the new server
after an import. A much speedier method then the practice of exporting all the
data from the database and storage pools. Followed by and import of all the
data.

I was told that it was not possible. I am not sure if it was the format of the
data on the tapes and/or that a number of the data fields in the database are
sequenced numbers and it would be hard to have the values required for the data
on the tape not to match values already in the dest database.

I would think that it could be a TSM  goal to make the data format on removable
media os/platform agnostic. And to make the database field values seq only
within a node. Maybe something like a Ethernet mac number.   It would make
server/platform migration so much faster.
Of course it could be something with storage pool numbers or something else
along these lines.

Of course this brings up the question of how much data is on the storage pool
tapes other then the containers of client data. I had assumed very little if
any, as the answer to question of rebuilding a lost database from the storage
pool tapes has always been "not possible".

len