ADSM-L

Re: Diskextender vs TSM HSM for Windows

2006-02-20 19:18:05
Subject: Re: Diskextender vs TSM HSM for Windows
From: Tab Trepagnier <Tab.Trepagnier AT LAITRAM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2006 18:18:25 -0600
Wanda,

We've been using DiskXtender for a few months.  It works, though it can be
tricky to set up.  We did not integrate it with our TSM system.  Instead
we redeployed a Pentium-3 server with two full pods of SCSI disks as our
media store.

However, according to the DiskXtender 6.0 Admin Guide dated Jan 2006,

"If you already use or plan to use Tivoli Storage Manager Server (TSM)
as a data storage or data backup system, File System Manager allows
you to configure a TSM system as a media service so that you can
migrate files from File System Manager to a TSM server. This method
utilizes the storage devices supported and managed by the TSM
server."

So at least for now, the TSM compatible version is still being marketed.
That could change at any time of course, but that's the latest info I
have.

Tab Trepagnier
TSM Administrator
Laitram, L.L.C.

"ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU> wrote on 02/20/2006
01:35:24 PM: