ADSM-L

Re: Offsite library via fiber

2006-02-17 10:46:29
Subject: Re: Offsite library via fiber
From: Cory Heikel <cheikel AT PSU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2006 10:45:49 -0500
Does anyone on the list have experience(good or bad) with Data Domain's
DD400 series? It looks like a good bang for the buck, but I'm wondering
about reliability and actual compression experienced in the real
world...

Thanks in advance,

cory

Cory L. Heikel
Tivoli Systems Administrator
Milton S. Hershey Medical Center
(717) 531-7972

*****E-Mail Confidentiality Notice*****
This message (including any attachments) contains information intended
for a specific individual(s) and purpose that may be privileged,
confidential or otherwise protected from disclosure pursuant to
applicable law.  Any inappropriate use, distribution or copying of the
message is strictly prohibited and may subject you to criminal or civil
penalty.  If you have received this transmission in error, please reply
to the sender indicating this error and delete the transmission from
your system immediately.

>>> Wanda.Prather AT JHUAPL DOT EDU 2/13/2006 2:31:21 PM >>>

We're doing just that.
Easy to set up if your offsite location is within fibre distance.

Only we are putting the VTL (primary pool) OFFSITE and the 3584 (copy
pool) ONSITE.

Why?

1) Tapes jam.  Drives break.  The 3584 is very reliable, but still
mechanical.  Easier to have it onsite, near us, to manage.  The VTL is
essentially lights out, so it will live offsite.

2) IF we have a disaster, having the VTL offsite means we can do DR
restores without being limited by the number of tape drives we have.
Cool idea, huh?  Means we only need 2 drives in our 3584.  Collocation
&
tape mounts are no longer an issue.

And another cool thing:

3) We're even putting a spare Windows server offsite with the VTL, and
making it a backup domain controller.  TSM is already installed on it,
but inactive.  If we have a disaster, all we have to do is restore the
TSM DB.  We can start restoring files then to any machine we can get
IP
connectivity to.  Our domain is still up, we don't have to recover AD.

I can hardly wait for the tornado!

Wanda Prather
"I/O, I/O, It's all about I/O"  -(me)