ADSM-L

Re: Fulls vs. incrementals for TSM DB

2006-02-16 14:41:24
Subject: Re: Fulls vs. incrementals for TSM DB
From: "Allen S. Rout" <asr AT UFL DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2006 14:40:57 -0500
>> On Thu, 16 Feb 2006 12:08:27 -0500, Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU> said:

> Allen - The elevated number of tapes would be the biggest issue...

I think I'd be using the same amount.  Or rather:  If I were writing
to separate tape volumes every time, I'd be using the same amount.

The comparison would be:

Day            Fulls                    Incrementals
0              New tape for full        New tape for full
1              New tape for full        New tape for incr
2              New tape for full        New tape for incr
3              New tape for full        New tape for full

However, I'm not doing it that way: I'm backing up all of my TSM DBs
to remote server volumes, and guarding against media failure by
copying them all over hell's half-acre.

I'd win big, because my week's DB backup retention would go from
7xfull backup to (on the average) 3xfull, 6xincrementals. I'd probably
cut my total DB backup storage by more than 50%.

> But db incrementals do work well, so there's no functionality problem.

Yeah, I don't think the use of the incrementals would be fragile, but
I figured it needed a line-item, if only so it could be dismissed in
style.

Thanks, Richard!

- Allen S. Rout