ADSM-L

Re: Processes calling for scratch instead of an existing FILLING tape

2006-02-11 20:21:47
Subject: Re: Processes calling for scratch instead of an existing FILLING tape
From: Sung Y Lee <sunglee AT US.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2006 20:19:02 -0500
The behavior that you are seeing is actually can found in the TSM 5.3
Administrator's guide, chapter 10. Managing Storage Pools and volumes under
"How the Server Selects Volumes with Collocation Disabled"
According to the manual:

1. A previously used sequential volume with available space (a volume with
the most amount of data is selected first)
2. An empty volume

I have not monitored what would happen after it finishes writing to an
empty volume... but I suspect it will grab next volume with the most amount
of data (fill status) and cycle repeats.
That being said, if one is trying to minimize the # of tapes to be sent
offsite it will require some manual work whether move data or start
reclamation before tapes are ejected for offsite.

Sung Y. Lee
E-mail  sunglee AT us.ibm DOT com

"ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU> wrote on 02/08/2006
11:08:52 AM: