ADSM-L

Exporting ADSM/VM Data to an (ASCII-based) TSM Server

2006-02-10 15:37:40
Subject: Exporting ADSM/VM Data to an (ASCII-based) TSM Server
From: Mark Wheeler <mlwheeler AT MMM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2006 14:37:02 -0600
I'm planning to replace my ADSM/VM 3.1 server with TSM 5.3 on zSeries
Linux. I have about 14 terabytes of data to move. My tape vendor says I
can't export/import using tape because of ASCII/EBCDIC issues. He says I
have to go the server-to-server route. Some of my clients store over a
terabyte of data each, which I'm expecting could take a while!

Has anyone moved from ADSM/VM (or TSM on z/OS for that matter) to an
ASCII-based platform (Windows, AIX, Linux) using tape for export/import?

Has anyone used server-to-server export/import who could provide a
throughput rate estimate? In my case, I'll be able to exploit hipersockets
as the "network".

Thanks!

Mark Wheeler, 3M Company