ADSM-L

Re: Backup stgpool peculiarity

2006-02-10 09:24:28
Subject: Re: Backup stgpool peculiarity
From: Ben Bullock <bbullock AT MICRON DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2006 07:24:09 -0700
        I'll guess what may be happening here.

        The TSM server runs the 'backup storagepool' and 'migrate' commands on
a "per node" basis. Meaning that if you set it to 4 sessions, TSM will look at
the storage pool, pick the node with the most data and start to duplicate that
data, it will then look for the next node with the largest amount of data and
start up a backup storage pool on that node.

        On storagepools where all the data belongs to one node, it will only
start one process eventhough you may set the maxproc to 4. When we had a large
VMS cluster, we encountered the same thing.

        One thing you might consider if you have enough drives in your library
is to make the TSM server make the copies at the same time of the backup. Look
at the "update stg" command, paying attention to the "Copystgpool" and
"Copycontinue" options. We are using this to help with a large SAP instance we
have. It slows down the transfer a little, but not by much.

Ben