ADSM-L

GENERICTAPE

2006-02-10 09:10:26
Subject: GENERICTAPE
From: "Verhelst, Luc" <Luc.Verhelst AT ATOSORIGIN DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2006 15:03:57 +0100
Hi all,

I currently have a IBM 3583 taperobot (with LTO1 drives)  to do my TSM backups.
 I did a test this week to replace this 3583 by a 3584 with LTO3 drives.
I checkout out the tapes, removed the paths to the drives,removed the drives
and the library.
I recabled the fiber to the 3584.  Load the latest Atape driver and set up the
zoning.

Everything went well, when I ran the cfgmgr I saw the tapes and the library on
my AIX OS platform.
Defined the new library in TSM, changed the library name in the device
class;created the drives and the paths to the drives again.

When I did this the drives were created like this:
Library Name     Drive Name       Device Type                   On-Line
------------            ------------            -----------
-------------------
3584_LIB         DRIVE0           GENERICTAPE           Yes
3584_LIB         DRIVE1           GENERICTAPE                   Yes
3584_LIB         DRIVE2           GENERICTAPE                   Yes
3584_LIB         DRIVE3           GENERICTAPE                   Yes

Normally the device type should be LTO as defined in device class.  I could
agree if this would have happened if I didn't load the correct device
driver but this is not the case.

Any of you had the same problem?

Regards
Luc

Regards,

Luc

Managed Services Unix
Da Vincilaan 5 - Corporate Village
B-1930 Zaventem
Phone: +32 (0)2 690 27 66
Fax: +32 (0)2 690 27 82

GSM: +32 (0)474 98 24 25
e-mail: luc.verhelst AT atosorigin DOT com
Disclaimer:
This electronic transmission and any files attached to it are strictly
confidential and intended solely for the addressee. If you are not
the intended addressee, you must not disclose, copy or take any
action in reliance of this transmission. If you have received this
transmission in error, please notify the sender by return and delete
the transmission.  Although the sender endeavors to maintain a
computer virus free network, the sender does not warrant that this
transmission is virus-free and will not be liable for any damages
resulting from any virus transmitted.
Thank You.