ADSM-L

Re: Disk config question - Block size

2006-02-10 07:22:13
Subject: Re: Disk config question - Block size
From: Richard Rhodes <rrhodes AT FIRSTENERGYCORP DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2006 07:21:20 -0500
I would suggest you contact EMC.  I believe they have information about
setting up a clariion for TSM.

A couple comments from things I've heard from EMC. . . . .

EMC used RAID3 in their VTL, and is best for streaming when ATA drives are
used, for
up to about 10 concurrent read/write data streams.    RAID5 is best
for streaming with NON-ata drives.

EMC has stated a bunch of times that you should not change the default 64k
strip size
without talking to EMC support (you indicated you weren't, so good).  There
are internal
software design issues that make this optimal.

rick

             Andy Huebner
             <Andy.Huebner@ALC
             ONLABS.COM>                                                To
             Sent by: "ADSM:           ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
             Dist Stor                                                  cc
             Manager"
             <[email protected]                                     Subject
             .EDU>                     Disk config question - Block size

             02/09/2006 06:34
             PM

             Please respond to
             "ADSM: Dist Stor
                 Manager"
             <[email protected]
                   .EDU>

I am preparing a Clariion CX-300 for TSM disk pools.  TSM will be the
only system so I can tune it from end-to-end.
There will be two 4+1 RAID5 groups holding the disk pools.  RAID5 or
RAID3 are the only choices due to the number of disks that were
purchased and the amount of space that I need.

The settings we are considering:
Element size of 64k.  This means a 256k write from TSM is one stripe.
Cache block size of 16k.  Larger I/Os for the disk pools larger cache
blocks should work better.
AIX Logical Volume block size of 64k.  This will match the element size.

Has anyone done this type of tuning and been able to test variations?

Andy Huebner

This e-mail (including any attachments) is confidential and may be legally
privileged. If you are not an intended recipient or an authorized
representative of an intended recipient, you are prohibited from using,
copying or distributing the information in this e-mail or its attachments.
immediately by return e-mail and delete all copies of this message and any
attachments.
Thank you.

personal and confidential use of the recipient(s) named above. If the
reader of this message is not the intended recipient or an agent
notified that you have received this document in error and that any
review, dissemination, distribution, or copying of this message is
please notify us immediately, and delete the original message.