ADSM-L

Re: Database mirroring, again

2006-02-07 23:13:05
Subject: Re: Database mirroring, again
From: John Monahan <JMonahan AT COMPURES DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2006 22:13:05 -0600
"ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU> wrote on 02/06/2006
01:07:08 PM:
> I know we've been over this, but times change, and technology changes.
> Conventional Wisdom on this list has been that the best disk layout for
> your TSM Database is:
>
> JBOD disks, Raw volumes, mirrored by TSM, with 2 dbvols per physical
> volume.

In every instance where TSM mirroring has saved my butt, it was from the
mirroring of the log.  In a hard server crash, it is the log that will
most likely be corrupted, and having that 2nd copy has saved me at least a
dozen times.  I feel perfectly comfortable keeping a single copy of the DB
out on RAID protected disk, but I still prefer to use TSM log mirroring
whenever possible.  Even if I only have a single SAN device/LUN available,
I still try to stick 2 log copies on it.