ADSM-L

Re: NetWare performance issues

2006-02-03 15:36:12
Subject: Re: NetWare performance issues
From: Troy Frank <Troy.Frank AT UWMF.WISC DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 3 Feb 2006 14:35:00 -0600
I was actually replying to Brec's problem....I don't have the problem
myself.  Towards the bottom of my post, I made some suggestions of my
own to him.
Don't get me wrong, I've got my own problems ;)  Just not this one.

>>> ddcanan AT ATTGLOBAL DOT NET 2/3/2006 11:01:31 AM >>>
Troy, I wouldn't mind assisting here but would like you to try the
suggestion here of the other posts that have been made. Could you try
backing up a single large file to your TSM server and provide to the
listserv the output from a client instrumentation trace (using the
testflag
instrument:detail statement) and also (if possible) a server
instrumentation trace? The server instrumentation trace is started with
an
'instr begin' command before the backup begins and then ended with a
'instr
end file=some.filename.txt" command when the backup finishes.

At 01:54 PM 2/2/2006 -0600, you wrote:
>Here's some comparison data from a couple days worth of backups on
our
>two biggest groupwise servers...
>
>- Server1 is 90GB (about 24GB daily change rate), with 1,000,000
files.
>Hardware is Dual 2.4ghz Xeon's with 2.5GB RAM.
> - Last nights backup took 1h25min, and backed up 28GB.
> - Night before took 51min to backup 22GB
>
>- Server2 is 77GB (about 24GB daily change rate) with 968,000 files.
>Hardware is 3ghz Dual Xeon's with 2.5GB RAM
> - Last nights backup took 1h33min, and backed up 24GB
> - Night before took 52min, and backed up 25GB
>
>So much faster speed than yours is definitely possible. As people
>have said, there's a lot of factors to weigh, but here's some more to
>look at....
>1. Run some statistical trend graphs on the netware boxes, over the
>last week. This can be done in Remote Manager, and would tell you if
>there's disk, network, cpu, or memory bottlenecks in the server
>hardware.
>2. check the cfg files for the tsa's. (in sys:\ect\sms\tsa.cfg).
>"Enable Caching" should be set to "no", as tsm does its own. Also
check
>the "cache memory threshold. Leave it as high as possible (25 is the
>max), and reduce in increments of 5 percent if it gives you trouble.
>3. Update all the firmare & drivers for disk controllers and nic's.
>4. Have someone check the statistics on the switch ports of these
>servers. If you're seeing lots of crc errors,retransmits, or other
bad
>signs, then there's probably a speed/duplex problem between the nic &
>switch. There is no one rule that always works, so try all
>possibilities (if you're hardcoding, try setting auto, and
vise-versa).

>Hi all,
>
>Netware group at our location is not happy with backup
>and restore performance using TSM. We are seeing roughly
>4 to 5 GB per hour at best. We have tested going to SSA disk
>pools, SATA disk pools and directly to 3590/3592 tape FC. We
>don't see very much difference in these methods. Typical Netware
>client is 150,00+ files with 25 to 40 GB per client. We also have
>Groupwise and the performance for those is roughly 20 percent
>worse.
>
>Clients are mostly 5.1 and 5.2.
>
>TSM servers are P615/4GB ram and P520/4GB ram running AIX 5.2
>and TSM server 5.2.3
>
>Most clients are GB Eth and we see similar performance on Windows
>servers with similar volume sizes/number of files. It seems to me
that
>this is mostly a function of a large number of small files. We also
>have
>AIX, Solaris and Oracle clients and performance is generally better
>on those clients (especially Oracle Rman/TDP).
>
>I have looked through the postings and have not been able to glean
>much of a consensus about what throughput should be for this type
>of configuration. We have tried many of the parameter changes that
>have been suggested ( buffer/tcp window sizes, quiet option, etc.)
>without much success. If anyone has overcome these types of problems
>or can give me some definitive answers ( even if the answer is
'that's
>the
>best you'll get' ), please e-mail me offline.
>
>Thanks for reading and thanks to all who post on this site.
>

>Brec Whitten
>
>UAB Hospital
>

>Confidentiality Notice follows:
>
>The information in this message (and the documents attached to it, if
any)
>is confidential and may be legally privileged. It is intended solely
for
>the addressee. Access to this message by anyone else is unauthorized.
If
>you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying,
distribution
>or any action taken, or omitted to be taken in reliance on it is
>prohibited and may be unlawful. If you have received this message in
>error, please delete all electronic copies of this message (and the
>documents attached to it, if any), destroy any hard copies you may
have
>created and notify me immediately by replying to this email. Thank
you.

Dave Canan
TSM Performance
IBM Advanced Technical Support