ADSM-L

Re: NetWare performance issues

2006-02-02 15:09:17
Subject: Re: NetWare performance issues
From: Richard Rhodes <rrhodes AT FIRSTENERGYCORP DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 2 Feb 2006 15:08:30 -0500
Some other things to check . . .

What is lan adapter on the TSM server?  What is it's throughput
during backups.  YOu might be max'ing out the adapter.   I once had
a GE card that couldn't get over 30MB/s.  I thought it was the card!  WHen
we upgraded the a newer/faster server that card could all of a sudden do
80-90MB/s.

What is the cpu utilization during backups.  You might be out of cpu.

What is the utilization of the db and log disk drives.   You might not have
enough iops available do perform all the db and log activity. You might
need to spread the db/log across more disks.

In other words, it's possible that the bottleneck is in the TSM server.

Rick

             Brecton Whitten
             <[email protected]
             Sent by: "ADSM:           ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
             Dist Stor                                                  cc
             Manager"
             <[email protected]                                     Subject
             .EDU>                     NetWare performance issues

             02/02/2006 01:38
             PM

             Please respond to
             "ADSM: Dist Stor
                 Manager"
             <[email protected]
                   .EDU>

Hi all,

  Netware group at our location is not happy with backup
and restore performance using TSM. We are seeing roughly
4 to 5 GB per hour at best. We have tested going to SSA disk
pools, SATA disk pools and directly to 3590/3592 tape FC. We
don't see very much difference in these methods. Typical Netware
client is 150,00+ files with 25 to 40 GB per client. We also have
Groupwise and the performance for those is roughly 20 percent
worse.

  Clients are mostly 5.1 and 5.2.

  TSM servers are P615/4GB ram and P520/4GB ram running AIX 5.2
and TSM server 5.2.3

  Most clients are GB Eth and we see similar performance on Windows
servers with similar volume sizes/number of files. It seems to me that
this is mostly a function of a large number of small files. We also
have
AIX, Solaris and Oracle clients and performance is generally better
on those clients (especially Oracle Rman/TDP).

 I have looked through the postings and have not been able to glean
much of a consensus about what throughput should be for this type
of configuration. We have tried many of the parameter changes that
have been suggested ( buffer/tcp window sizes, quiet option, etc.)
without much success. If anyone has overcome these types of problems
or can give me some definitive answers ( even if the answer is 'that's
the
best you'll get' ), please e-mail me offline.

Thanks for reading and thanks to all who post on this site.

       Brec Whitten

       UAB Hospital

personal and confidential use of the recipient(s) named above. If the
reader of this message is not the intended recipient or an agent
notified that you have received this document in error and that any
review, dissemination, distribution, or copying of this message is
please notify us immediately, and delete the original message.