ADSM-L

Re: Novell client upgrade

2005-12-29 12:34:45
Subject: Re: Novell client upgrade
From: Troy Frank <Troy.Frank AT UWMF.WISC DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2005 11:33:40 -0600
It's only necessary to save the old log files if you care about
maintaining the info in them.  How much you would loose depends on how
long your log retention periods are (mine are 7 days for instance).  The
pwd file is also not necessary to save.  If you don't though, you'll
have to rerun "dsmc q tsa" to recreate it later.  I don't typically use
the TCPNODELAY option, so I don't have an experience with that problem.

>>> Timothy.Hughes AT OIT.STATE.NJ DOT US 12/29/2005 9:07:47 AM >>>
Hello,

I recently upgraded a Novell client from 5.2.2 to 5.3.0.3 and used
the following procedure to upgrade Novell clients Can anyone tell
me if some of the steps below can be LEFT OUT such as is it necessary
to save the dsmsched.log and dsmerror.log, and copy the .pwd files
to the save area. Also, When I upgraded I noticed that when we
tried to load the dsmcad after upgrading It failed to load until
we Commented OUT the TCPNODELAY option?

1) From The TSM Client installation directory save the DSMSCHED.LOG,
DSMERROR.LOG AND THE DSM.OPT
To a save area.

2) Copy any .pwd files to a Save Area
3) Unload the scheduler module (unload DSMCad.NLM)
4) Install the TSM client using (I downloaded to a USB Flash drive)
5) PLACE THE SAVED FILES IN THE SAVE AREA
BACK INTO THE TSM CLIENT INSTALLATION
DIRECTORY

6) SAVE DSM.OPT

8) CHECK DSMSCHED.LOG AND DSMWEBCL.LOG
9) LOAD THE DSMCAD.NLM BACK
10) CHECK THE STATUS BY DOING THE FOLLOWING

A. Q SESSION
B. Q sched

RS/6000 AIX 5.3
TSM 5.3.2.1
TSM Novell clients

Thanks in advance for any responses!

Confidentiality Notice follows:

The information in this message (and the documents attached to it, if any)
is confidential and may be legally privileged. It is intended solely for
the addressee. Access to this message by anyone else is unauthorized. If
you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution
or any action taken, or omitted to be taken in reliance on it is
prohibited and may be unlawful. If you have received this message in
error, please delete all electronic copies of this message (and the
documents attached to it, if any), destroy any hard copies you may have
created and notify me immediately by replying to this email. Thank you.