ADSM-L

Re: Adaptive Subfile Backup and File Servers

2005-12-28 19:38:14
Subject: Re: Adaptive Subfile Backup and File Servers
From: Steven Harris <steve AT STEVENHARRIS DOT INFO>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2005 10:38:57 +1000
Thanks for the reply Andy

The whitepaper is titled "Tivoli Storage Manager Adaptive Sub-file
Differencing and Encryption for Mobile and Remote Clients" which I
downloaded last week from the white papers portion of the Tivoli Support
Section of the IBM website.

On page 9 it states

Backing Up Databases

Adaptive sub-file differencing is not recommended
for backing up databases.

Followed by

File Ownership Permissions

Microsoft Windows does not provide a way to copy
all non-file data from one file to another, for
example, Windows NT¨ Security data, AFP data, and
non-named streamed data. This limits the recombination
of the reference and delta files on Tivoli
Storage Manager. To perform the recombination,
and keep the temporary reference and delta files
separated from valid data, the reconstruction takes
place in the /~tsmptemp directory. The person
restoring the files must be the owner of the files or
have read or write permission, to successfully copy
the reconstructed file from the /~tsmtemp directory
to the desired restore location. When a
Windows administrator performs the restore, the
administrator owns the resulting file, not the original
owner. The administrator must specify
'TESTFLAG TAKEOWNERSHIP' in the dsm.opt file to
assign ownership.

Then immediately following, on page 10 it states

Backing Up File Servers

File servers should not be backed up using adaptive
sub-file differencing. This is because the
person performing the restore may not have the
same permissions as the owner of the file and file
ownership problems described in the preceding
paragraph will be encountered.

The whitepaper is dated 2000 and I suppose that it is possible that the
Windows API has changed since then, or the capabilities of the client may
have changed since then.  The question is whether the recommendations are
still accurate, as always with the YMMV disclaimer.

Regards

Steve.