ADSM-L

TSM and Diligent VTF-O/Hyperfactor

2005-12-28 11:39:42
Subject: TSM and Diligent VTF-O/Hyperfactor
From: "Coolen, IG (Ilja)" <ilja.coolen AT ABP DOT NL>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2005 17:39:29 +0100
Hi there guys,

we are about to check out the Diligent Virtual Tape Facility for open
systems to use as a tape storage device in order to perform lan-free
backups. It's supported to use the currently installed 20TB
DS4300-Turbo/S-ATA backend storage on which store file type volumes. The
current installation forces us to still use client compression, although our
full 1Gb/s network support heavy loads. This makes no sense, since the
backup windows keep increasing in this scenario.
So, we were thinking, lets install virtual tape. Nothing new so far. It has
to be one that is able to reuse the installed storage capacity. And it
should do very well on compression. This is were the Hyperfactor kicks in.
Diligent promisses an average of  25 to 1 compression ratio by eliminating
the redundant storeing of data already stored in the VTF. I was wondering,
is there anybody out there that has some experience with this setup or this
VTF device? If so, would he or she be willing to share this experience?

kind regards,

Ilja G. Coolen

  _____

ABP / USZO
CIS / BS / TB / Storage Management
Telefoon         : +31(0)45  579 7938
Fax      : +31(0)45  579 3990
Email    : ilja.coolen AT abp DOT nl

  _____

- Everybody has a photographic memory, some just don't have film. -

=====DISCLAIMER=================================================================

De informatie in dit e-mailbericht is vertrouwelijk en uitsluitend bestemd voor
de geadresseerde. Wanneer u dit bericht per abuis ontvangt, verzoeken wij u
contact op te nemen met de afzender per kerende e-mail. Verder verzoeken wij u
in dat geval dit e-mailbericht te vernietigen en de inhoud ervan aan niemand
openbaar te maken. Wij aanvaarden geen aansprakelijkheid voor onjuiste,
onvolledige dan wel ontijdige overbrenging van de inhoud van een verzonden
e-mailbericht, noch voor daarbij overgebrachte virussen.

It may be read, copied and used only by the intended recipient. If you have
received it in error, please contact the sender immediately by return e-mail;
please delete in this case the e-mail and do not disclose its contents to any
person. We don't accept liability for any errors, omissions, delays of receipt
or viruses in the contents of this message which arise as a result of e-mail
transmission.