ADSM-L

Re: restore speed question

2005-12-22 08:49:32
Subject: Re: restore speed question
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2005 08:40:57 -0500
Alex - Thanks for that isolated example...good to see that kind of
thing.

I would caution against attributing the speed variation to the server
or tape drive until you have a bunch more information.  I'm no
Windows expert, but this kind of "pulsing" behavior might be an OS
issue where TCP buffers are quickly filled, then relatively slowly
drain, then quickly fill again...  I perceive that your client is
somewhere on the network, separated from the TSM server.  Depending
upon your networking, another possibility is bandwidth limiting,
where some sites may limit per-unit-time traffic; but that would be
unusual.  Whereas your server and client are both Windows, you might
perform the experiment of performing a test restoral of the 32 GB
data file locally on the server, to eliminate networking as a
variable and see how that performs.  You could eliminate the tape
drive variable by performing a test backup to a DISK or FILE type
stgpool, and restore from that.

Problem isolation in such cases can be tedious, but usually
determinable.  Whereas your server is a Windows 2000 OS, I'd be
conservative in expectations from that aged operating system, with
its known foibles.

   Richard Sims