ADSM-L

3494 - volume "ready at load point" message...

2005-12-14 09:42:43
Subject: 3494 - volume "ready at load point" message...
From: "Patterson, Scott" <SPatterson AT HESS DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 09:41:02 -0500
Morning all,

We are running TSM 5.2.6 (AIX) using an IBM 3494 library.  Occasionally
we have see the following situation occur - a process or session
believes itself to be waiting on a mount.  If we query the library
console (search volser) and/or use MTLIB commands we'll find the volume
"mounted" in a drive.  The message on the drive LCD says "ready at load
point" but it never gets to the point where the VOLSER is blinking on
the display.

We've tried pausing the library and manually ejecting the tape and then
manually inserting the tape.  The TSM process (has been a session as
well) does not pick up... it still waits thinking it is waiting for the
volume.  We have also tried ejecting the volume and putting it in the
recovery slot.  The library puts the volume back "home" but the TSM
process still thinks it is waiting on a mount.

At this point, cancelling the process usually doesn't work and we find
ourselves hunting for a good time to halt TSM, just to kill the process
and get it started again.

Any ideas on what to try in this situation to cancel the session and
help avoid halting TSM?

Thanks so much!

Scott