ADSM-L

Deleting TSM db volumes in lightly utilized db

2005-12-08 22:36:00
Subject: Deleting TSM db volumes in lightly utilized db
From: Eric Winters <ewinters AT AU1.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 9 Dec 2005 14:20:51 +1100
Dear All,

Cannot seem to find a way to delete db volumes in a lightly used TSM db.

Environment is as follows;

TSM Server 5.3 on Windows.

q db

Available   Assigned     Maximum     Maximum      Page       Total
Used         Pct            Max.
    Space    Capacity   Extension        Reduction      Size         Usable
Pages       Util           Pct
     (MB)       (MB)           (MB)                  (MB)
(bytes)      Pages                                            Util
---------   --------   ---------   ---------               -------
---------     ---------           -----            -----
   81,000     74,684       6,316                    0
4,096        19,119,104   6,606,896    34.6    34.6

I have 8x10,000 MB dbvolumes - I'd like to reduce this to perhaps 4x10,000
MB volumes.
When running "delete dbvolume" I get the following (expected) message
ANR2434E DELETE DBVOLUME: Insufficient space on other database volumes to
delete volume D:\path\to\dbvolume
ANS8001I Return code 7.

Now I understand from Richard's excellent Quickfacts that db volumes can
become fragmented - and that the 'maximum extension' refers to contiguous
space at the end of the db - which needs to  be large enough to accommodate
the data deleted from dbvolumes.  To create a larger 'maximum extension'
I've defined additonal 20 GB of dbvolumes - but after deleting 2x10,000 db
volumes with data on them I find the 'maximum extension' has dropped by
exactly 20,000 - so I haven't actually reduced my total db size at all. I
had naively hoped that the effect of deleting db volumes and forcing that
data onto other volumes would have defragemented the data on that volume.

So what are my alternatives? I really don't want to unload this db and I
doubt defragmentation be achieved via a db backup/restore. Is there a
better way?

Thanks for your suggestions people.

Regards,

Eric Winters