ADSM-L

Re: Copying a COPYPOOL...

2005-12-06 16:30:38
Subject: Re: Copying a COPYPOOL...
From: Andrew Carlson <andyc AT ANDYC.CARENET DOT ORG>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 6 Dec 2005 15:30:23 -0600
Even the latest TSM 5.3 books do not show that you can reclaim copy storage pools to other copy storage pools - only primary storage pools.

John Schneider wrote:

Jeff,
        Instead of migrating COPYPOOL01 (3590-E1A) to COPYPOOL02 (3592-J1A),
you could just do a 'backup stgpool' from the primaries to COPYPOOL02.  This
will create a new and complete copy to COPYPOOL02, which is what you want.
In the meantime, all your COPYPOOL1 data is still available, if you need it.
When the 'backup stgpool' completes (which may take days or weeks, depending
on how often you have stop it to get access to the tape drives for other
purposes) you can then delete COPYPOOL01. This would probably be faster than reclaiming COPYPOOL01 to
COPYPOOL02, although that would work, too.

Best Regards,

John D. Schneider
Technology Consultant - Backup, Recovery, and Archive Practice
EMC² Corporation