ADSM-L

Strange backup stg behavior

2005-12-02 09:35:00
Subject: Strange backup stg behavior
From: "Thach, Kevin G" <KThach AT COVHLTH DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 2 Dec 2005 09:34:44 -0500
I recently upgraded to version 5.2.6.2 of TSM running on an AIX server
(5.2ML5), and I've noticed some weird behavior.  I can't say for sure
whether or not it began happening immediately after the upgrade, because
I just noticed it a few days ago, but I have verified the behavior did
not exist at my previous version of 5.1.7.3.

Basically what I'm seeing is that when issuing the following command:

tsm> backup stg nocotape copypool maxproc=4             (nocotape is a
tape pool, as is copypool)

It just sits there for about 45 minutes before the actual processes get
started.  Then things run as normal until all the data is backed up to
the copypool.  Then, each process just sits there and does nothing for
1-2 hours before finally ending successfully.

Things only behave this way for a tape to tape copy.  Backing up a disk
pool to copypool works just fine.

Interestingly enough, I see the delay when issuing the backup stg
command with preview=yes as well.

There aren't any issues with available mount points, scratch tapes, or
any other resource I can think of, so I'm hoping this is a known issue?

Anyone have any idea what is going on?

Thanks!!