ADSM-L

Still huge problems with Mac OSX client 5.2.3.12

2005-12-01 09:57:46
Subject: Still huge problems with Mac OSX client 5.2.3.12
From: Farren Minns <fminns AT WILEY.CO DOT UK>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 1 Dec 2005 14:56:32 +0000
Hi all

Well, it looks like we were having quite a few problems with version
5.1.5.16 of the Mac OSX client, but since going to 5.2.3.12 we have had
even more. So, while I'm waiting to see if IBM can help me, I will probably
have to end up going back to the previous version of the client.

Now, I know that the older version of the client will be unable to restore
data backed up by the later version, but is there anything else I need to
be aware of when trying to downgrade. I assume that there will be data left
lying around in the database with no-where to go? What happens to this, if
anything?

Thanks in advance

Farren Minns

>> Hi all

>> Right, I know I have been here before but we are still having some baaad
problems with our Mac OSX 5.2.3.12 clients.

>> I'm currently still only running TSM Server 5.1.6.2 on Solaris until the
hardware arrives for the upgrade (v soon), but as far as I am concerned,
there should be >> no problem running 5.2 clients on a 5.1 server. In fact,
as far as I know the  TSM structure is designed to accommodate this.

>> Now, at the moment, the file systems on the two Mac servers are NOT
unicode enabled as this will mean full backups for both servers (which will
take some >> time). I would rather get the server upgrade out of the way
before doing this if it's even necessary.

>> So, the problems I am seeing are whole groups of directories not being
backed up! Since the upgrade to 5.2.3.12 I have been allowing the client to
backup >> via the scheduler demon (which I could never get to work properly
before). But I can see that where the client used to check some 300,000
files, it now only >> check 70,000 approx!

>> I have never seen such problems with any other clients flavours and I
really don't know where to start looking. Are there other people out there
running Mac >> clients that are getting complete successful backups and if
so is there something I'm doing wrong. Sadly I'm not a Mac admin so there
may be something >> >> OS based that is wrong.

>> Any help would be much appreciated as people are not very happy (and who
can blame them).

>> All the best

>> Farren Minns

>> John Wiley & Sons Ltd

The information contained in this e-mail and any subsequent
correspondence is private and confidential and intended solely
for the named recipient(s).  If you are not a named recipient,
you must not copy, distribute, or disseminate the information,
open any attachment, or take any action in reliance on it.  If you
have received the e-mail in error, please notify the sender and delete
the e-mail.

Any views or opinions expressed in this e-mail are those of the
individual sender, unless otherwise stated.  Although this e-mail has
been scanned for viruses you should rely on your own virus check, as
the sender accepts no liability for any damage arising out of any bug
or virus infection.