ADSM-L

Re: Migrate TSM Server 4.2.4 on AIX 4.3.3 to 5.3 on Linux Howto (retry)

2005-11-25 10:58:12
Subject: Re: Migrate TSM Server 4.2.4 on AIX 4.3.3 to 5.3 on Linux Howto (retry)
From: Christoph Martin <martin AT UNI-MAINZ DOT DE>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2005 16:57:56 +0100
Hi

Kurt Beyers schrieb:

> The TSM database on the new server will contain only the server definitions
> after the export/import of the server. The metadata of what backups are
> written on the tapes must be done by a full export / import of the nodes too.

help export server says that you can decide wether you want to export
the node information (Client node definitions) and the node file data
too. The question is, if I have to export the node file data too, or if
I can reuse the file data tapes in the new server.

The default option is FILEData=None

It is no option for us to export the file data. We have about 3 hundred
AIT tapes with file data.

Christoph

>>>We currently have out TSM server version 4.2.4 running on a PowerPC with AIX
>>>4.3.3. We now want to migrate to new hardware using version 5.3 on a
>>>(Debian) Linux server.
>>
>>>Are there any recommendation which migration path to use?
>>
>>Moving between platforms, you will need to export and import.
>

> So, I do an EXPORT SERVER to a tape and do an IMPORT SERVER with this
> tape on the new box.
>
> Do I have to export the FILEDATE also, or is it possible to reuse the
> backup tapes on the new server?
>
> And is it recommended to update the 4.2.4 server to 5.3 first?

Christoph Martin, Leiter der EDV der Verwaltung, Uni-Mainz, Germany
 Internet-Mail:  Christoph.Martin AT Uni-Mainz DOT DE
  Telefon: +49-6131-3926337
      Fax: +49-6131-3922856