ADSM-L

AW: To all TSM users: questions about DIRMC usage

2005-11-24 13:08:54
Subject: AW: To all TSM users: questions about DIRMC usage
From: Salak Juraj <J.Salak AT ASAMER DOT AT>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2005 19:08:09 +0100

nice activity from you, Andy!

> 1) I use DIRMC in my environment ...
>
>    a) to ensure that GUI restores will accurately show files
>       available for restore (NO)
>
>    b) to ensure that directory backups do not go directly to
>       tape (NO )
>
>    c) to ensure fast restores from disk (YES)
        The experience was very slow restores and
        some tapes beeing read twice during restore
        (well, I am not quite sure about the TSM version from then, it might
have been 2001)

>    d) for other reasons (NO)
>

> 3) I have other comments about DIRMC

        a) it is important and good that you have designed and implemented
DIRMC at all!

        b) For my purposes I´d find following settins of DIRMC usefull:
        either system-wide setting:

DoYourBestTryToAlwaysKeepDirectoriesInRandomAccessStoragePoolsForever=YES/NO
        or an attribute of a primary random access storage pool:

DoYourBestTryToAlwaysKeepDirectoriesInThisStoragePoolForever=YES/NO

        which would usually prevent directories from beeing migrated from
random access storage pools to tapes to tape storage pools.

        I would not await it to work 100%, e.g.
                        MOVE DATA
        could remain unchanged, ignoring this new setting, no problem for me.

        But it´s a nice2have only - you all in Tucson are doing a damned good
job anyway!

Juraj