ADSM-L

Re: VTS or san disk storage

2005-11-24 09:40:41
Subject: Re: VTS or san disk storage
From: Paul Zarnowski <psz1 AT CORNELL DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2005 09:39:45 -0500
At 11:33 AM 11/23/2005, Dearman, Richard wrote:
We currently use several TB of san based disk storage for our daily
backups which gets migrated during the day to multiple tape libraries.
The san disk administration has become a nightmare [...]

I am curious what kind of problems you are running into.  At the TSM
Symposium at Oxford this year, IBM indicated that they were going to
further develop the serial access disk support in TSM.  And, TSM 5.3
just added the ability for a SAD devclass to span multiple
filesystems.  After hearing this, we have been leaning towards
investing in inexpensive disk managed by TSM rather than buying a VTL
appliance.  I'm interested in other's comments about where,
specifically, they are having problems managing SAD directly by TSM.

..Paul

--
Paul Zarnowski                            Ph: 607-255-4757
Manager, Storage Systems                  Fx: 607-255-8521