ADSM-L

To all TSM users: questions about DIRMC usage

2005-11-22 11:47:03
Subject: To all TSM users: questions about DIRMC usage
From: Andrew Raibeck <storman AT US.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2005 09:48:30 -0700
TSM handling of directory backups, either by default behavior
or with the use of the DIRMC option, has often been a source
of confusion for customers. We in TSM development would like
to better understand how and why our customers use DIRMC. To
that end, we are interested in your answers to the questions
below.

If you respond to me privately, your answers will remain
confidential within IBM TSM development.

Besides answering YES or NO, feel free to include any detail
that might further our understanding of how you use DIRMC in
your environment.

1) I use DIRMC in my environment ...

   a) to ensure that GUI restores will accurately show files
      available for restore (YES / NO)

   b) to ensure that directory backups do not go directly to
      tape (YES / NO -- If YES, why is this important to you?)

   c) to ensure fast restores from disk (YES / NO -- If YES,
      what is your experience with restores if directories
      were on tape?)

   d) for other reasons (YES / NO -- If YES, include detail)

2) I do not use DIRMC because ...

   a) the default behavior is acceptable in my environment
      (YES / NO)

   b) I do not know what DIRMC is (YES / NO )

   c) for other reasons (YES / NO -- If YES, include detail)

3) I have other comments about DIRMC

4) TSM development can contact me if they have additional
   questions about my answers (YES / NO)

Thank you in advance,

Andy

Andy Raibeck