ADSM-L

Re: 5.1.6.2 to 5.2 Upgrade - How to

2005-11-21 09:07:51
Subject: Re: 5.1.6.2 to 5.2 Upgrade - How to
From: "Allen S. Rout" <asr AT UFL DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2005 09:07:45 -0500
==> On Mon, 21 Nov 2005 12:10:57 +0000, Farren Minns <fminns AT WILEY.CO DOT
UK> said:

> As such, my plan of action is going to be as follows. I know the points are
> basic, but for now I want to make sure the general plan is acceptable
> before working out the details.

> Install the new server, OS (Solaris 2.9), patches, tape and library drivers
> etc
> Install TSM and get it to the same level as the current live server.
> Connect the new server to the lib via a fibre switch and do a restore of
> the db.
> Do an audit db on the restored database to make sure it's OK.
> Upgrade the new TSM install to 5.2 ( do I want to go right up to 5.2.6.4
> here?)

I'm not one to discourage adding another belt and/or set of braces, but the
AUIDT DB is probably not necessary.  It won't hurt anything, but it'll cost
time.

> Once this is done, my basic plan is to shut down the live TSM server, and
> reconfigure the new server to have the same host name, IP address etc. I'm
> assuming that I can then bring this up and as far as the clients are
> concerned, backups will be able to carry on like nothing has happened.

You'll want to shut down the live TSM server before you begin the RESTORE DB;
or at least disable sessions.  As long as your reusedelay is set to a
reasonable value, your only risk then is doing maintainance work multiple
times.  Though that might be a point: make sure that your reusedelay is in
excess of the time you expect your AUDIT DB to take.  Pleasantly, you can
restore the DB and practice the audit however many times you want.

> Also, we are backing up pretty much all 5.1 clients at present and as far as
> I know this is fine (5.1 clients on 5.2 server). It's not likely that I'll
> be able to get the clients upgraded prior to the server. Am I likely to see
> any real problems with this?

I'd guess no.  I've had as old as 3.x backing up to 5.2 without particular
event.  It's not supported, so if I'd had any problems there I would have been
sad... :) but it did work.

- Allen S. Rout