ADSM-L

Re: Version of 5.2 server and DB question

2005-11-17 09:23:51
Subject: Re: Version of 5.2 server and DB question
From: Troy Frank <Troy.Frank AT UWMF.WISC DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2005 08:23:28 -0600
Everyone's favorite answer, it depends.  I'm not real familiar with your type
of hardware, but generally it's best to spread the i/o across as many
heads,controller cards, and i/o busses as possible.  Unless you've got a lot of
battery-backed write-back cache, you don't want to put the db on a raid5
volumes either.  Raid0+1 is a good candidate if you don't mind loosing half
your space.  Some of this might be a little overkill planning anyway, being
that your db is so small.  Of course, a little good planning now could save you
a lot of pain later if it suddenly has to grow.

Troy Frank
Network Services
University of Wisconsin Medical Foundation
608.829.5384

>>> fminns AT WILEY.CO DOT UK 11/17/2005 5:29 AM >>>

Hi all

I'm about to be getting a new server and can at last install TSM 5.2 on
Solaris. Is it best to go right up to the latest version of that release
(5.2.6.4 I believe)?

Also, as I can plan things a bit better on this new server I want to size
my DB a bit more efficiently. Now, I know this is an old question with many
posts but I couldn't seem to get a concrete answer. My DB is only 14GB and
80% used, so I think I'll allocate 30GB to give me loads of space for
growth. So, is it best to have 3*10GB volumes, or 30*1GB etc. Basically
should I have more smaller ones, and if so how small is too small?

Thanks

Farren Minns
John Wiley & Sons Ltd

The information contained in this e-mail and any subsequent
correspondence is private and confidential and intended solely
for the named recipient(s).  If you are not a named recipient,
you must not copy, distribute, or disseminate the information,
open any attachment, or take any action in reliance on it.  If you
have received the e-mail in error, please notify the sender and delete
the e-mail.

Any views or opinions expressed in this e-mail are those of the
individual sender, unless otherwise stated.  Although this e-mail has
been scanned for viruses you should rely on your own virus check, as
the sender accepts no liability for any damage arising out of any bug
or virus infection.

Confidentiality Notice follows:

The information in this message (and the documents attached to it, if any)
is confidential and may be legally privileged. It is intended solely for
the addressee. Access to this message by anyone else is unauthorized. If
you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution
or any action taken, or omitted to be taken in reliance on it is
prohibited and may be unlawful. If you have received this message in
error, please delete all electronic copies of this message (and the
documents attached to it, if any), destroy any hard copies you may have
created and notify me immediately by replying to this email. Thank you.