ADSM-L

AW: Backup question - Full and Incremental

2005-11-14 17:38:20
Subject: AW: Backup question - Full and Incremental
From: Salak Juraj <J.Salak AT ASAMER DOT AT>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2005 23:37:03 +0100
Hi!

You can perform sometimes full/selective backup to achieve better restore speed.
Caution, this will always add a new file version to TSM,
even for unchanged files,
so check it against your backup management class definitions.
Example: assuming you know your File "a" is changing once a week and you want
to keep it for 70 days
ist is OK to allow for 10 backup versions.
But if you are goiing to perform selective backup of "a" daily then
you have to allow for 70 versions.

This will consume some addition space in you TSM DB,
this will cost you backup time/bandwidth/space on tsm tapes,
this will slow-down your TSM server in general.

I AM doing selective for the very same reason
but only for windows user profiles, once a month. It is helpfull for me.
Doing it for whole servers/pc´s would probably saturate my TSM.

> Another question came up, is there any way to have TSM
> organize data already on tape for a specific server so it's
> on a few tapes instead of spread across many tapes?
Look for collocation which is an attribute of tape storage pools.

regards
juraj