ADSM-L

Re: 5.3 - - Likes/dislikes

2005-11-11 12:31:50
Subject: Re: 5.3 - - Likes/dislikes
From: Julius Martinez <juliusm AT US.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2005 10:30:57 -0700
Hi Zoltan - it's true that adding ISC users can be tricky. To help with
this, our welcome page in the Administration Center describes the
procedure for adding an ISC user who can manage TSM. (Click Getting
Started in the list of work items on the left and then scroll down to the
bottom of the page.) The instructions refer to a "Settings tab", which has
been replaced with a "Console Settings" work item in the current version
of ISC. Other than that, the instructions should be accurate.

To add an ISC user who can manage both TSM and the ISC itself, you would
follow the same procedure, but add the user to the "iscadmins" group
instead of the "TSM_AdminCenter" group.

----- Message from Zoltan Forray/AC/VCU <zforray AT VCU DOT EDU> on Thu, 10 Nov
2005 14:15:03 -0500 -----
Re: 5.3 - - Likes/dislikes
This has been discussed, numerous times. Most folks hate the ISC,
including myself. I and two other "engineers" spent hours just trying to
figure out how to add an admin-level ISC id.  We gave up.  If we can't
figure it out, how on earth would our operations folks figure it out, when
they had issues with something as simple as the web-interface. It would
have taken way too many hours/days (which I don't have) for us
systems-level folks to learn it, much less teach our computer operators
about it.  With the old web-interface, I could walk folks through most
operations, in my head, over the phone.

As you have discovered, it is not intuitively obvious/easy to use.  There
may be some nuggets of improvement, but the high learning curve isn't
worth it, IMHO ! Also, the lack of responsiveness is another issue (try
using it over dial-up).

As an alternative, we went with TSMManager (www.tsmmanager.com) for it's
simplicity, ease-of-use and fairly low cost. Now, we can't live without
it.  I start it up, first thing in the morning, and stay in it all day
long.

Julius Martinez
IBM Software Group, Tivoli Storage
(520) 799-5472 (tie line 321-5472)