ADSM-L

Re: 5.3 - - Likes/dislikes

2005-11-10 14:16:43
Subject: Re: 5.3 - - Likes/dislikes
From: Zoltan Forray/AC/VCU <zforray AT VCU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2005 14:15:03 -0500
This has been discussed, numerous times. Most folks hate the ISC,
including myself. I and two other "engineers" spent hours just trying to
figure out how to add an admin-level ISC id.  We gave up.  If we can't
figure it out, how on earth would our operations folks figure it out, when
they had issues with something as simple as the web-interface. It would
have taken way too many hours/days (which I don't have) for us
systems-level folks to learn it, much less teach our computer operators
about it.  With the old web-interface, I could walk folks through most
operations, in my head, over the phone.

As you have discovered, it is not intuitively obvious/easy to use.  There
may be some nuggets of improvement, but the high learning curve isn't
worth it, IMHO ! Also, the lack of responsiveness is another issue (try
using it over dial-up).

As an alternative, we went with TSMManager (www.tsmmanager.com) for it's
simplicity, ease-of-use and fairly low cost. Now, we can't live without
it.  I start it up, first thing in the morning, and stay in it all day
long.

(standard disclaimer) I do not work for TSMManager. Just a happy customer.

"Gill, Geoffrey L." <GEOFFREY.L.GILL AT SAIC DOT COM>
11/10/2005 12:32 PM
Please respond to

ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
cc

Subject
[ADSM-L] 5.3 - - Likes/dislikes

I've been playing around with 5.3 trying to get used to the changes,
before
I actually move it to production, and find that to me it is awful
cumbersome
to do things that used to be so easy. Is there anyone else out there that
loves or hates the new software and can point me to why I should like it
better than the old web interface? I feel like I have to have the command
line interface open no matter what where as before I could do without a
second window. Is there something I'm missing?

Thanks,

Geoff Gill

TSM Administrator

SAIC M/S-G1b

(858)826-4062

Email:  <mailto:geoffrey.l.gill AT saic DOT com> geoffrey.l.gill AT saic DOT com