ADSM-L

Re: Fw: Multiple journal services, retry

2005-11-09 13:18:17
Subject: Re: Fw: Multiple journal services, retry
From: "Schaub, Steve" <Steve_Schaub AT BCBST DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 9 Nov 2005 13:16:15 -0500
Thanks, Pete, I'll give this a try.
-steve

-----Original Message-----
From: ADSM: Dist Stor Manager [mailto:ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU] On Behalf Of
Pete Tanenhaus
Sent: Tuesday, November 08, 2005 1:46 PM
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Subject: [ADSM-L] Fw: Multiple journal services, retry

I'm not sure if the procedure for installing multiple journal services
made it into the client books so I will attempt to explain.

The first step is to create a separate journal config file for each
journal service which will be installed.

Each config file should specify a different JournalPipe value, and
should also specify different drives to journal so that the two services
don't clash with each other.

Note that attempting to have multiple journal services journal the same
drive will cause problems since the different services will attempt to
write to the same journal db unless this is specifically overridden in
the the by specifying different journal dirs in the different config
files.

The next step is to install journal multiple services under different
names.

For example:

dsmcutil install journal /name:"TSM Journal Service 1"
/JBBCONFIGFILE:c:\journalconfig\tsmjbbd1.ini"
dsmcutil install journal /name:"TSM Journal Service 2"
/JBBCONFIGFILE:c:\journalconfig\tsmjbbd2.ini

Backup clients should now be able to connect to the desired journal
service by specifying the JournalPipe client option which corresponds
with the JournalPipe journal service setting.

Hope this helps and please post any additional questions.

Regards,

Pete Tanenhaus
email: tanenhau AT us.ibm DOT com
tieline: 320.8778, external: 607.754.4213

"Those who refuse to challenge authority are condemned to conform to it"

---------------------- Forwarded by Pete Tanenhaus/San Jose/IBM on
11/08/2005 12:43 PM --------------------------- Please respond to "ADSM:
Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU>