ADSM-L

Re: Can TSM use LDAP for admin authentication?

2005-11-09 09:07:30
Subject: Re: Can TSM use LDAP for admin authentication?
From: "Stapleton, Mark" <mark.stapleton AT BERBEE DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 9 Nov 2005 08:07:11 -0600
From: ADSM: Dist Stor Manager [mailto:ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU] On
Behalf Of Loren Cain
>We are building a new TSM installation for a client and I have been
>asked if TSM can use LDAP to authenticate the admin userids. They
>don't want to have to maintain a separate userid/password mechanism
>just for the TSM servers if they can avoid it.
>
>I have never seen anything that leads me to believe this is possible,
>but I've also never seen anything that says it isn't. Unfortunately,
>searches for keywords like "ldap" in the list archives and support site
>results in many, many hits on how to back up ldap, but not on how
>or whether to use it.

At this time, TSM strictly uses its own authentication system and
nothing else.

At the IBM Storage Symposium this summer, it was announced that the TSM
development group was planning to allow for LDAP authentication to the
TSM server and clients "sometime in the future". As with all things IBM,
this may come about next week, or next year, or never.

Quite frankly, as a professional backup/recovery engineer, I don't want
others mucking about with *my* installations without my okey-dokey. That
way madness lies.

IBM Certified Advanced Deployment Professional
 Tivoli Storage Management Solutions 2005
IBM Certified Advanced Technical Expert (CATE) AIX
Berbee Information Networks
Office 262.521.5627