ADSM-L

Re: DIRMC question

2005-11-08 17:11:02
Subject: Re: DIRMC question
From: Dmitri Pasyutin <pasyutin AT FREE DOT FR>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2005 23:10:43 +0100
On Tuesday 08 November 2005 15:11, Copperfield Adams wrote:
> I have a node which has all data bar 1 top-level directory and
> its contents bound to the default management class (2 year
> retention). I have a separate management class set up with a
> slightly longer retention policy for directories and have a
> DIRMC entry in the dsm.opt file to bind the dirs to this
> management class.
> There is one top-level directory and it's contents which is
> bound to a separate management class that will retain data for
> 7 years (I use an 'INCLUDE' in the opt file).
> Can anyone confirm that this directory and all it's subdirs
> (not the data within but the dirs) will be bound by the 7 year
> class and not by the DIRMC? In other words, if I delete some
> data (and dirs) from this directory, will the dirs still be
> available to restore after the 2 years (and upto 7 years)?

From the BA client documentation on DIRMC:

"If you specify a management class with this option, all
directories specified in a backup operation are bound to that
management class."

So my guess is NO, *every* directory object will be bound to
the DIRMC management class, including those in your top-level
directory. This means that (assuming this is a Windows/NTFS
client) if you restore the data after 2 years, the dirs will
be created on the client, but with default attributes
(permissions, etc), and you will lose any custom attributes
you may have applied to them.

OTOH, if you do *not* specify DIRMC, the directory objects will
be bound to the 7-year management class by default because it
has the longest retention period, and that also goes for *every*
directory (not just those in the top-level tree).

To be sure, verify with 'dsmc query backup' or with the restore
GUI.

Dmitri