ADSM-L

Re: How big of a TSM DB is too big?

2005-11-02 08:11:38
Subject: Re: How big of a TSM DB is too big?
From: Remco Post <r.post AT SARA DOT NL>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 2 Nov 2005 14:11:16 +0100
Dearman, Richard wrote:
> My TSM database is currently 150GB and I am wondering if I should start
> thinking about a second server.  Other than the DB being so large
> nothing else is wrong.

150 GB is not to large, except for one thing...

Audit is a single threaded proces, so if you even have to, you'll be
off-line for a serious amount of time (weeks ?). I'd say you'll want to
stay under 100 GB for now...

As for things as unload/load (defrag) or disaster recovery, I wouldn't
worry to much, unless you have a bunch of very slow big disks to house
your db. Defragging your database is nonsense anyway IMNSHO. As for
restore db...  just make sure you don't have to ;-) My bet is that
you'll have plenty of time to recover and again faster disks help more
than anything else.

--
Met vriendelijke groeten,

Remco Post

SARA - Reken- en Netwerkdiensten                      http://www.sara.nl
High Performance Computing  Tel. +31 20 592 3000    Fax. +31 20 668 3167

"I really didn't foresee the Internet. But then, neither did the
computer industry. Not that that tells us very much of course - the
computer industry didn't even foresee that the century was going to
end." -- Douglas Adams