ADSM-L

Re: Point in Time Restore Issue

2005-11-01 15:16:26
Subject: Re: Point in Time Restore Issue
From: Andrew Raibeck <storman AT US.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 1 Nov 2005 13:17:33 -0700
Hmmm... I'm not sure there is a way to do what you are asking, outside of
rolling back your TSM server database to Day 2 (which I would NOT
recommend). While TSM, of course, recognizes that the file no longer
exists at the time the backup on day 2 was made, it doesn't maintain a
history of that information. The file was recreated and backed up on day
3, so now TSM has an active and inactive version of the file. But at this
time, TSM has no "knowledge" of *why* the inactive file is inactive, so it
doesn't distinguish between the scenarios where the file was simply
changed and backed up again, versus where the file was deleted, expired by
the next incremental, recreated, then backed up again.

I suppose that, depending on how critical this is for you, you could dump
the contents of the BACKUPS table to a file; then massage the data,
looking for the active version and the most recent inactive version, and
compare the former's BACKUP_DATE against the latter's DEACTIVATE_DATE. In
the situation where the file simply changed and thus was backed up again,
I would imagine the two dates would be identical, or at least within a few
seconds of each other, while in your particular scenario, you'd see
(about) a day's difference between the two dates.

Regards,

Andy

Andy Raibeck
IBM Software Group

http://www-306.ibm.com/software/sysmgmt/products/support/IBMTivoliStorageManager.html

The command line is your friend.

Bill Mansfield <Bill.Mansfield AT US.LOGICALIS DOT COM>
2005-11-01 12:03
Please respond to
"ADSM: Dist Stor Manager"

ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
cc

Subject
Point in Time Restore Issue

I have a case where point in time restore is not working as I would
expect.  Here's the sequence:

Day 1:  Create file "A", incremental backup.  File A has active version,
none inactive.

Day 2:  Delete file "A", incremental backup.  File A has no active
version, 1 inactive.

Day 3:  Create a new file named "A", incremental backup.  File A has
active version, 1 inactive.

On day 4, do a PiT restore to the point after the backup on Day 2.  File
"A" is in the list with an inactive mark.  It should not be in the list
at all, since it was non-existent at the time of the backup.  How do I
get a restore list that contains just the files that existed at the time
of the backup on Day 2?

Bill Mansfield

Logicalis