ADSM-L

Re: Problem after time change

2005-10-31 11:01:50
Subject: Re: Problem after time change
From: Andrew Raibeck <storman AT US.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2005 09:02:50 -0700
Never say "never", but for what it's worth, because the server is 5.1 and
thus out of support, IBM support might not accept a call on this.

The problems in the past have affected *all* files, not a subset, so I
have to wonder if there is something else going on. Do you manually set
your clocks back, or do you let Windows do the adjustment? What kind of
file system are you using? If NTFS, is it Windows native NTFS (sounds like
it might be, but never assume...)? Are the affected files limited to a
single file system? Are they a local file system?

Also take a look at the management classes to which the files are bound.
For example, if MODE=ABSOLUTE is set, then those files will back up
regardless of whether they have changed. Also look for a nonzero FREQUENCY
setting.

Too bad you aren't using 5.3, you could just use the dsmtrace utility to
enable and disable tracing without stopping the client (assuming you can
identify its process number). But if you can stop the backup, then restart
with the client configured to take an FIOATTRIBS trace, you'll have
something a little more concrete to look at, as that should show you what
changes the client is detecting.

You can configure the client for the trace by adding the following to your
dsm.opt file:

   * tracefile can point to any valid file name
   tracefile c:\tsmtrace.txt
   traceflags fioattribs

My recommendation would be to specify a tracefile that resides on the disk
with the most amount of space.

Once the backup operation finishes, review the trace file, looking for
files that you suspect haven't changed.

Regards,

Andy

Andy Raibeck
IBM Software Group

http://www-306.ibm.com/software/sysmgmt/products/support/IBMTivoliStorageManager.html

The command line is your friend.

"ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU> wrote on 2005-10-31
08:21:21: