ADSM-L

TSM client 2GB memory limitation?

2005-10-27 12:58:26
Subject: TSM client 2GB memory limitation?
From: "Dearman, Richard" <rdearm1 AT UIC DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2005 11:57:00 -0500
According to APAR IC46817 the TSM client has a limitation on 32 bit
windows platform of only using 2GB of memory and backing up 1 million
files uses approx. 300MB of memory so 7million+ files will causes the
TSM client to shutdown since the 2GB limit will be reached.  I have a
system with 15 million+ files and directories on one file system.  If I
upgrade this system to 64bit Windows and use the 64bit TSM client will
that over come the 2GB limitation?  I know online snapshot is another
option but I am not sure how that would work on a 300GB SAN volume.

This email and any files transmitted with it may be confidential and are
addressed.  If you are not the intended recipient or the individual
responsible for delivering the e-mail to the intended recipient, any
disclosure, copying, distribution or any action taken or omitted to be
taken in reliance on it, is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this
e-mail in error, please delete it and notify the sender or contact Health
Information Management 312.413.4947.