ADSM-L

Re: Moving a node and changing its domain

2005-10-18 10:39:06
Subject: Re: Moving a node and changing its domain
From: "Allen S. Rout" <asr AT UFL DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2005 10:38:51 -0400
==> On Mon, 17 Oct 2005 09:48:41 -0400, Zoltan Forray/AC/VCU <zforray AT VCU
DOT EDU> said:

> Since we are discontinuing our z/OS based TSM server, I need to move
> everything off.  I am doing this via "EXPORT NODE TO SERVER".

> I would like to take this opportunity to change the domains for some of
> these nodes.

> What are the implication/problems/requirements/gotchas in doing this ?

When I was doing a lot of this, I did an export with no filedata first, moved
the node into its' new home, and then did an additional export to send the
data.  As long as you don't replace the definitions, it worked fine.

> IIRC, there is a requirement for the domain to have a similarly named
> Management Class ?  What about the Policy Set(s) ?

I don't think there's a "requirement";  IIRC, when you pass over a file which
is bound to a devclass which does not exist on the target server, the file is
rebound to the default MC.

So, if there are distinctions you wish to maintain, then be sure you've got
parallel management classes with parallel definitions.  You may find this
simplest to perform by first exporting the domain;  EXPORT POLICY is the way
to start.

- Allen S. Rout