ADSM-L

Re: expiration Oracle backups

2005-10-14 03:42:06
Subject: Re: expiration Oracle backups
From: Rainer Holzinger <rainer_holzinger AT WEB DOT DE>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2005 09:41:34 +0200
Hello,

I'm running 18 Oracle systems on HP-UX which are backed up by TDP for
Oracle.
The TDP for Oracle version is 5.2.1.0, the TSM servers 5.2.4.1 on AIX
5.2 ML05. Oracle serves are at level 9i and 10g.
Our Oracle administrators have written a RMAN script that deletes
obsolete backups. I was monitoring the first deletes from RMAN and seen
that the delete from RMAN inactivates the TDPO objects on the TSM
server. The next expire inventory process will delete the TDPO objects
from the TSM database and managed storage. I think this is the reason
for BACKDEL=yes, Versions Data Deleted = 0 and Retain Only Version = 0.

In general this works fine in our installation. But in the meantime
there is one Oracle system where we have found 'old' TDPO objects in TSM
storage but no entries in the RMAN recovery catalog. Even a 'TDPOSYNC
SYNCDB' did not remove or inactivate the TDPO objects which should be
there anymore. I will test some other things and come back to the list
if there's a solution.

best regards,
Rainer