ADSM-L

Re: Group collocation

2005-10-13 22:24:19
Subject: Re: Group collocation
From: Kolbeinn Jósepsson <Kolbeinn.Josepsson AT NYHERJI DOT IS>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2005 02:22:07 +0000
My apologizes, Mark you are correct!

The best practise should be to use at least two seperate storagepools, the
first with collocation=no (where all non-collocated nodes belongs to) and
the second with collocation=group (where nodes in collocaton groups
belongs), you can then chose if you use the second pool also for
collocation by node (non grouped nodes) or if you add the third stgpool
with collocation=node (and perhaps the fourth stgpool with
collocation=filespace if your environment is "large enough").

Best regards,
Kolbeinn

"Stapleton, Mark" <mark.stapleton AT BERBEE DOT COM>
14.10.2005 01:39
Please respond to

ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
cc

Subject
Re: Group collocation

Zoltan Forray/AC/VCU <zforray AT VCU DOT EDU>

From: ADSM: Dist Stor Manager [mailto:ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU] On
Behalf Of Kolbeinn Jósepsson
>Only data from nodes in collocationgroup will be collocated, data from
>other nodes in same stgpool will not be collocated.

This is incorrect. My experience has been that, when setting a pool to
"collocation by group", that any node not belonging to a collocation group
will get its data to that pool collocated.

(from page 312 of the TSM 5.3 for Windows Administrators' Reference)
====
GRoup
Specifies that collocation is enabled at the group level for client nodes.
The server attempts to put data for nodes that belong to the same
collocation group on as few volumes as possible. If the nodes in the
collocation group have multiple file spaces, the server does not attempt
to collocate those file spaces.

If you specify COLLOCATE=GROUP but do not define any groups, data is
collocated by node. Similarly, if you specify COLLOCATE=GROUP and you
define a group but do not add nodes to the group, data is collocated by
node.
===

The workaround I found is to create collocation groups and populate them,
then create one more collocation group that contains all other nodes that
write to that storage pool that are *not* already in a group.

IBM Certified Advanced Deployment Professional
 Tivoli Storage Management Solutions 2005
IBM Certified Advanced Technical Expert (CATE) AIX
Berbee Information Networks
Office 262.521.5627