ADSM-L

Re: volumes being marked seen as write protected

2005-10-13 12:55:08
Subject: Re: volumes being marked seen as write protected
From: Kathleen M Hallahan <Kathleen_Hallahan AT FREDDIEMAC DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2005 12:54:49 -0400
Oh yes, we see this from time to time.  We used to have a lot more of
these sorts of errors, and have spent considerable time working with IBM
on this sort of thing since moving to 3584 libraries.   Early on, a lot of
tape drives were replaced; sometimes, having the drive calibrated seems to
help.  We've got microcode upgrades scheduled soon, which I'm hoping
helps, but that's still an open question.  There doesn't seem to be a good
fix for this as yet; all we've been able to do is periodically check for
these tapes and update them, and keep reporting problems to IBM.

_________________________________

Kathleen Hallahan
Freddie Mac
Distributed Backups
703-450-3317

   "Aaron Durkee" <ADurkee AT CHSBUFFALO DOT ORG>
   10/13/2005 12:44 PM
   Please respond to

ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
cc

Subject
volumes being marked seen as write protected

Hi All,
  Wondering if anyone else has seen this yet?
  Volumes scratch and private are being seen as write protected and either
marked as unavailable (those with data) or private (scratch volumes) When
I eject the tape its not write protected.  Its a 3584 tape library and I'm
pretty sure both the gen 1 and gen 2 drives are doing this, but need to
investigate details more.  All the media is gen 1.
  TSM server 5.3.1.4 on AIX 5.3 connected via 3534 fiber switches.

10/13/05 04:04:39 ANR8463E LTO volume 894ACT is write protected.
10/13/05 04:04:57 ANR8778W Scratch volume 894ACT changed to Private Status
to prevent re-access.

  Thanks in advace, Aaron

Aaron Durkee
Infrastructure Analyst