ADSM-L

Re: Slow backup performance

2005-10-11 20:20:59
Subject: Re: Slow backup performance
From: Andrew Ferris <AFerris AT MRL.UBC DOT CA>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2005 17:20:04 -0700
Do check the network settings and make sure you're up to date on TCP/IP patches
for NetWare too as they can make a difference. I've got a 915GB data volume on
NW6.5 SP4 with 764,000 files and it only took a 5.3.0 client 41 minutes to
inspect it for what that's worth.

Andrew Ferris
Network Support Analyst
iCAPTURE Research Centre
University of British Columbia

>>> cameron_ambrose AT ENTERPRISESERVICES.COM DOT AU 10/11/2005 4:30 am >>>
Guys,

      Thanks for the info, I'll double check the network settings. Though I
have changed the COMMtimeout value from 180secs to 1800 secs as suggested
by Richard Simms, which has stopped the session restart error messages and
infact the backup seems to be error free.

       As for the speed, I'm  still leaning towards a tsm netware client/
Netware OS issue. I say this because last night I performed a test backup
on a 10gig volume (50% full)  that hadn't had any changes and it still took
10 hours to scan only 80000 odd files. The Client itself hovered around
87-89% utilisation. When this server was netware 6.0 it used to flatline on
100% when performing a backup with the same slow performance. We thought
once we'd upgraded to 6.5 with the additional memory required with 6.5,
that performance would improve. Unfortunately it hasn't yet. Has anyone
experienced this before?

Regards Cameron

             Richard van
             Denzel
             <RvanDenzel@SLTN.                                          To
             NL>                       ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
             Sent by: "ADSM:                                            cc
             Dist Stor
             Manager"                                              Subject
             <[email protected]         Re: Slow backup performance
             .EDU>

             07/10/2005 07:25
             PM

             Please respond to
             "ADSM: Dist Stor
                 Manager"
             <[email protected]
                   .EDU>

Oops, I don't know if there is an iperf for Netware.

Do other clients have the same problems from the network the NW server
is on? Also you did not specify what kind of network is between server
and client(s) (100Mb/1000Mb)?

Met vriendelijke groet, With kind regards,
Richard van Denzel.