ADSM-L

Re: 3494/3584 HA1 High Availability Option - is it worth it?

2005-10-11 12:37:00
Subject: Re: 3494/3584 HA1 High Availability Option - is it worth it?
From: Ben Bullock <bbullock AT MICRON DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2005 10:36:39 -0600
        NEVER had to run in manual mode??? Never had the robotic fail???

        You must be a lucky person, perhaps you should by a lottery
ticket this week. ;-)

        We have had 4 3494 tape libraries  for about 9 years. During
that time, we have had probably a dozen mechanical failures on the
robotics & had 4 times when we had to run in Manual mode because the
library was down for an extended period. Not ~too~ bad, considering that
is across 4 libraries I guess.

        The last failure we had (last month), was the failure of an
"Arctic" card in the PC in the library. That made it so the library
would not even boot up so we couldn't even put it in manual mode. I
attempted to reconfigure the library and devices on the TSM server to
use them as manual devices, but couldn't get that to work because TSM
would not let me change/delete/reconfigure the devicetypes because they
were defined to Storagepools with data in them.
        Of course the card was not in stock in town and the library was
down 27 hours while we waited for it to be flown in. The diskpools
filled up, and backups failed till we got the library back up.

        I know some of you are thinking that I should have been able to
use the drives in a manual mode, and so did I at the time. But try as I
might, I couldn't get them to define in and change my STGPOOL
configurations to use the manual devices.

Ben